Gardening in a sustainable way is always eco-friendly and more economical as it involves using recycled materials, reducing the use of natural resources, and requiring less maintenance.
What is Eco-friendly Gardening?
It is the process of using natural resources and processes, to build a garden that benefits the environment rather than harming it.
What are the benefits of Eco-friendly gardening?
It has various environmental and health benefits. It gives peace of mind and helps relax. It doesn’t harm the environment and makes it sustainable.
What are some tips for sustainable and organic home gardening?
- By using fewer or no pesticides and chemical fertilizers, eco-gardening becomes beneficial to the environment. This allows the nutrient-rich soil and diverse mix of plants to create an ecosystem that helps the environment, replenishes the soil, helps prevent corrosion, and nurtures the environment for birds and bees.
- Instead of synthetic fertilizers, eco-friendly gardeners use organic matter in the form of compost and mulch as well as natural fertilizers when needed. One of the best ways to nurture and have a sustainable garden is to compost the garden and kitchen waste.
- To set up an eco-garden always avoid plastic pots as plastic is still injurious to the environment like it is to us. Reuse wooden or glass jars by cutting off their base as they are perfect for small herbs and succulents. Use cardboard egg cartons or cardboard boxes as containers for your indoor seedlings.
- To design your eco-garden should always be designed with reusable and recycled material. It must have an efficient irrigation system. A small pond near would help the environment and one should opt for companion planting.
- One should always include native plants as they grow and pollinate better. Planting local varieties of trees, vegetables, and flowering plants as they are easier to grow and are more eco-friendly as they do need chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
Some more tips for eco-gardening-
- Sunlight plays a key role in gardening, if the sunlight is too dim, plants tend to grow lanky and may lose their colour. One should place them according to their need.
- By cutting off the healthy portions at the node, one can use these to create new plants.
- A small space for the plants can lead to crowding, evaluate the space and reallocate the plants according to the space they need.
- regularly mulch the plants by adding dry leave leaves as it helps in water loss, enriches the soil, protects the roots, and prevents soil erosion.
- To avoid flooding and Mold creation watering should be done as per the condition of the plant and the season or weather conditions.
Eco-friendly gardening is always a benefit to the environment and gives deep satisfaction to the inner self. Regular gardening is always beneficial and one should have this practice of gardening not only for the environment but for inner peace.