Parents Pull The Plug On Daughter After Horrific Sleepover Trend

Two parents had no idea it would be the last time they would see their lovely, healthy teenage daughter alive and well when she left for a sleepover. They were obliged to take their brain-dead daughter off life support just eight days later.

(Paul and Andrea Haynes were forced to remove their daughter from life support. (Photo Credit: Screenshot)

Like every other 13-year-old daughter, Esra Haynes was normal. She liked hanging out with friends, playing sports, and spending nights at sleepovers. She also enjoyed Her parents made sure she was going to be there and who would be there when the teen headed for a sleepover at a friend’s house. Sadly, their cautious parenting was insufficient to shield their daughter from a dangerous trend.

Paul and Andrea Haynes answered a call no parent would want to receive while Esra was spending the night with friends at the house of a Melbourne classmate. Following their instructions to “come and get your daughter,” the couple hurried to their house to discover police and paramedics furiously trying to revive the unconscious teen, the New York Post notes.

(Esra Haynes, 13, was at a sleepover with friends when she engaged in a deadly trend. (Photo Credit: Go Fund Me)

Esra was taken to a nearby hospital and started on life support right away. She never would have woken up. Her parents were obliged to pull the plug just eight days later. These days, they are cautioning parents everywhere to be wary of a trend sweeping among even the best and brightest teenagers.

Esra had participated in a viral trend known as “chroming,” which entails inhaling or swallowing household chemicals anyone could buy from a store, Daily Mail notes, while at the sleepover. Teenagers all around are using items including bug spray, aerosol deodorant, spray paint, and hairspray to get a deadly high; already, many deaths have been claimed. Esra huffed some deodorant and passed it out, which she would never come to.

“We thought we would bring her home,” Andrea said.
“We still had hope, we did not think the worst,” Paul said.

(Esra Haynes suffered irreversible brain damage after inhaling aerosol deodorant to get high. (Photo Credit: Facebook)

Before her family learned she would never recover since “her brain damage was beyond repair,” Esra was kept alive at the hospital for slightly over a week. Her parents and three older siblings bid farewell and made the agonizing choice to turn off her life support.

“She was put onto a bed so we could lay with her,” a heartbroken Paul said. “We cuddled her until the end.”

Following her death, the Victorian Education Department increased initiatives to inform pupils on the risks associated with chroming. Paul and Andrea argue, though, that it is insufficient. Manufacturers should alter aerosol formulations to make them safer, they are urging.

“For me, it’s a pistol sitting on the shelf,” Paul said of the deodorant cans. “We need the manufacturers to step up and really change the formulation or the propellants.”

(The family wants aerosol manufacturers to make deodorant safer for children. (Photo Credit: Screenshot)

More importantly, Esra’s family wants parents to teach their kids about the possible fatal effects and the risks of certain viral trends.

“Kids don’t look beyond the next day, they really don’t. And especially not knowing how it can affect them,” Paul said. “Esra would never have done this if she would have known the consequences.”
“But the ripple effect is that this is absolutely devastating,” Andrea added. “We’ve got no child to bring home or anything.”

Retail stores all around Australia have started locking their deodorant cans in glass cases in response to many deaths like Esra’s to stop teenagers from getting hold of the products.

(While many sympathize with Paul and Andrea Haynes, they disagree that the manufacturers should be held responsible for the abuse of their products. (Photo Credit: Facebook)

Although Esra’s parents are understandably eager to stop such a tragedy from occurring once more, many disagree that manufacturers have any obligation to safeguard their children.

Products with possibly dangerous components will always abound. Nonetheless, it is up to the users not to use these products as much as it is up to the parents to raise their children with regard for the repercussions of such risky behavior.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *